Oct 21, 2008

Governors Island Art Fair


Self portrait in Shelby Voice's installation at the Governors Island Art Fair

I went to the first annual Governor's Island Art Fair on October 12th. It was the last day of the fair, I'm glad I made it. The event was organized by the artists collective 4heads.

I uploaded some photos on my Flickr stream.

I didn't sense any particular curatorial thrust to the work, it was a bit of a random collection. And the ubiquitous price lists and "For Sales Inquiries Please Ask ..." in every room detracted from the work, giving the show a tag sale atmosphere. I think this was unfortunate - the show could have benefited from a higher level structure.

That said, I thought the range of work was impressive, much better than some "me and my friends" style shows I have seen. It was cool to see an artists-organized fair in the city, rather than some sponsored-to-the-hilt commercial fair. And Governors island is stunning. I plan to go back next year.

No comments: